Should I call the police in a custody dispute?

Child custody is often a contentious issue in family law, but once the matter is settled, it is assumed that both parties will abide by the terms. However, this is not always the case. One parent may abuse their visitation rights, or the primary custodial parent may discourage the child from seeing their ex-spouse. So, what can you do if your ex-spouse is not holding up their end of the deal? The options for taking action largely depend on how your child custody and visitation agreement was drawn up. If you have a court-ordered agreement, you have more options for enforcement, such as negotiating with the other parent, hiring a mediator, asking a judge to turn the agreement into a court order, or reporting the other parent’s actions to the court. If there is no court-ordered agreement, it is more difficult to enforce, but you can still call the police or district attorney’s office if you believe your child is in imminent danger. If you want to ask a judge to revise or enforce a custody order, you can present evidence to the court and ask the judge to review the existing order or enforce it. You can also seek legal representation from a law firm like Justice Legal Group to help you navigate the process. Ultimately, the best interests of the child should be the primary concern in any child custody matter. If you are faced with a situation where the other side is not abiding by a court order or if you do not have a court order to enforce contact Justice Legal Group at 505-880-8737 to get the Justice you deserve.